Each week the children are set three pieces of homework on a Friday which are due the following Thursday:
- Children need to read three times a week and record this in their reading diary. Please sign to say your child has read. Additional comments about their reading are welcome.
- Weekly maths activities are set on Mathletics (log-ins are glued into your child's homework book).
- Spellings sentences should be written out once and then practised in preparation for a test on Thursday.
In addition to this, children have one piece of project homework linked to our topic which is due the second to last week of term. Please see below for suggested ideas!
Year 5 Homework – Scream Machine
The new projects run for the Second half of the summer term, Monday 3rd June to Friday 12th July. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are a list of ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- Plan a trip to a local theme park for your family. Calculate how much it will cost, how long it will take to get there and write an itinerary for the day
- Research the history of fairground rides and create a PowerPoint presentation that includes information, timelines, pictures, film and sound clips.
- Make a flipbook to animate a roller coaster ride that includes a loop the loop.
- Research online to find information about roller coasters from around the world. Which is the oldest? The longest? The scariest? Record your results in a table.
- Make a loop the loop using flexible track. Modify the track until a marble or toy car can successfully make it round the loop. Challenge other family members to get the marble or car to fly off the end and land in a pot by changing the trajectory. Keep a tally to show your success rate.
- Become a pendulum on the swings at the park. Swing as high as possible and time how long it takes for you to slow down and stop completely. Time friends and family then identify patterns in your results. Do heavier people slow down more quickly?
- Research and write a biographical account of Walter Elias ‘Walt’ Disney, animator and entrepreneur.
- Find the location of Disney theme parks around the world.