Each week the children are set three pieces of homework on a Friday which are due the following Thursday:
- Children need to read three times a week and record this in their reading diary. Please sign to say your child has read. Additional comments about their reading are welcome.
- Weekly maths activities are set on Mathletics (log-ins are glued into your child's homework book).
- Spellings sentences should be written out once and then practised in preparation for a test on Thursday.
In addition to this, children have one piece of project homework linked to our topic which is due the second to last week of term. Please see below for suggested ideas!
YEAR 5 – Beast Creator
The new projects run for the second half of the Spring term, Monday 25th February to Friday 29th March. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are a list of ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- If you could be an insect for a day, what kind would you be? Why? Where would you live? How safe would you be from predators?
- Make a bug’s-eye plan of your classroom or bedroom. How would things look from high up there on the wall?
- Read the novel Charlotte’s Web, then write a book review to share with your friends. Is it a good read? Would you recommend it?
- Find out which flowers and herbs attract minibeasts. Plant a bulb or seed in a pot or planter and see who comes to visit.
- Go on a bug hunt in a local park or woodland. What will you find? Can you photograph it?
- Make a comparison between two minibeasts. How are they similar? How are they different?
- Visit a local museum or nature centre to find out more about minibeasts and bugs. Make your own sketchbook and record any information you can gather.
- Use dough or clay to make a replica of your favourite minibeast. Bring it in to school to share with others.
- Make a minibeast glossary to explain all the specialist vocabulary associated with this topic.
- Use poster paints to design a beautiful and symmetrical design for a butterfly’s wings. Can you transfer your design to a computer?