Gods and Mortals - 1st Half Autumn
The new projects run for the first half of the Autumn term, Monday 10th September to Friday 12th October. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are a list of ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- Read and re-tell the story of Medusa, the Gorgon, who could turn people to stone if they looked at her. Illustrate your story with a detailed drawing of Medusa’s face showing her hair of venomous snakes.
- Design your own mythical creature. Which animals’ body parts could you include in your design? What personality will your creature have? Make your creature using junk materials and give it a fabulous name!
- Look carefully at the shapes of the letters of the Greek alphabet. Practise forming them and pronouncing them.
- Look at online examples of pottery and create your own design for an ancient Greek jug or bowl. You could choose a scene from Greek mythology to represent in your artwork or maybe another familiar story. Remember to use colours typical of Greek art such as black, white, red and yellow.
- Spot buildings influenced by Greek architecture around your nearest town or city and take photographs to show in school. Hunt for columns, statues or pillars. Find out about different types of column (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian) and see if you can identify any of these on your hunt. Find out about famous Greek philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes and Pythagoras. How did their work influence life today?
- Make a scrapbook using downloaded images and drawings and write informative sentences and captions. Read about Narcissus, the boy who fell in love with his own reflection. What is the moral of the story? Write a letter to Narcissus telling him to change his ways!
- Look at holiday brochures and travel websites. Plan a family holiday to one of the Greek islands! If money was no object, where would you go?