Year 1 Homework Bright Lights, Big Cities
The new projects run for the second half of the Spring term, Monday 25th February to Friday 29th March. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are a list of ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- Make your own cityscape artwork and take it to school to share with the class. Spot and talk about different types of vehicles while you are out and about with your family.
- Create a 2-D city shape picture. Can you label the shape names? What are the properties of the shapes in your picture?
- Search the web with an adult to find images of different cities in the world. Create a scrapbook of your favourite cities and include pictures, labels and captions. Can you find and record a short fact about each city?
- Visit a city near you with an adult. Look out for interesting buildings that are different sizes and shapes. Make a list of the sights, sounds and smells that you discover. You could even draw a simple map and plan of your journey.
- Take your teddy on a visit to a city near you. Write a simple diary about teddy’s day out, including what he or she saw and felt. Illustrate teddy’s diary.
- Build a real or fantasy city using Lego, blocks or 3-D junk material from home. Play with your city using figures and vehicles.
- Draw a map of a city and direct a toy car or figure using words such as forwards, backwards, straight ahead, left, right, up, down, under and over. You can use numbers too, if you like.
- Create your own city song to the tune of ‘The Wheels on the Bus’. Your song should start with, ‘I went to the city and I saw…’.