Year 2 Homework - Street Detectives
The new projects run for the second half of the Autumn term. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are a list of ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- Keep your street diary updated with all the exciting things that happen in your street. Remember to use interesting adjectives and verbs. Look in detail at the outside of your own house and make a careful observational drawing. Draw a plan or map of your ideal neighbourhood. Who would you like to have living on your street? What type of house would your ideal neighbours have? Create a key to show features on your map.
- Watch a clip of a film made to show family life in the 1930s or life in the 1960s (BBC Learning Zone Class Clips is a good site).
- Talk to your grown-ups about how life was different for children in the past. Draw pictures and write some sentences to share at school. What things are better or worse today?
- Draw and label a design for your own fantasy home. What will your home be built from? How will you get in and out of your house? What will you have in your garden?
- Make a model of your fantasy house using junk materials.
- Find out and list the types of building machinery needed to build a house. Draw or download images of each vehicle and write a description of what it is used for. Perhaps you could make a non-fiction book or PowerPoint presentation to show what you have found out?
- Visit a local shop with your grown up. Write a shopping list before you go. Pay for your shopping and work out your change.
- Make a leaflet or short film all about your local community. Include drawings, photographs or footage to show what you can see and do there. Write or record your thoughts on what is like to live there as well as ideas for improving it.?
At the end of the project homework period your child will receive either a bronze, silver or gold project homework badge.
Bronze = a basic piece of project homework was completed
Silver = a good piece of project homework which has clearly taken lots of time to complete
= an excellent piece of project homework which has clearly taken lots of thought, time and effort to complete