Welcome to our Year 5 page where you can find out more about what is happening in our class.
Year 5 have PE on Monday and
Swimming/2nd PE lesson on Thursdays.
On Wednesdays Year 5 have LAMDA.
If you have any questions or would like to contact the class team please email email@example.com or call the school office on 01252 328589 to leave a message. Alternatively you can fill in the contact form.
Half Term Project Details and Homework Ideas
This half term our project is: Stargazers
Stargazers project homework is due: Friday 1st December 2023
This exciting project will run for the second half of the Autumn term. Homework contributions can be made throughout the half term, please make sure your child brings in something that they have worked on at home.
Below are some ideas for each project, try one of these or something else project related.
- Keep a Moon diary over the course of a lunar month. Draw the shape of the Moon each night, finding out and recording the correct term for each lunar phase.
- Use non-fiction books, astronomy magazines and the web to find and record your own amazing facts about space. Create a space scrapbook using your facts and downloaded images.
- Visit your local library and search for space-themed books. These could be non-fiction, novels or poetry books. Write a review of your favourite to display in the library or in school.
- Imagine… an alien space ship has crashed landed in your back garden. Write your own story about what happens next. You may want to borrow ideas from space stories or films you know well. Remember to use powerful vocabulary to bring your story (and your alien) to life!
- So far, 24 astronauts have visited the Moon. Find out their names, download pictures and record interesting facts about them.
- Write a letter of application to the UK Space Agency to become an astronaut. What personal qualities or skills would you need to carry out this role?
- Write a film review of a space-themed film that you have watched with your family. Some great films to choose might be ‘Wall-E’ (U), ‘ET’ (U), ‘Star Wars’ (PG) or ‘Apollo 13’ (PG). How many ‘stars’ would you award your film?
- Teach your family the order of the planets in the solar system using your mnemonic. Then test them… Have they remembered correctly?
- Using non-fiction books and online research, find out the names of some of the best known star constellations. On a clear night, try to identify them. Draw diagrams of those you have spotted. Do you think the names they have been given suit them?
- Make a 3-D model of the solar system which displays all the planets in order.
- Write your own space adventure story.
- Stargazing – what stars are in the sky at the moment? Can you complete your own star charts?
- Take a trip to Winchester Planetarium and take a journey to the stars!
- Create your own space fact file.
Year 5 experiences
In Year 5 your child will work towards their LAMDA qualification. They will have weekly practical lessons.
School Councillor - Nick
Class Reps - Joey and Amelia
Charity - Tourettes Action (donate here)
Class Assembly Dates
Here are the dates for our class sharing assemblies this year, we hope you will come and join us at 9am in the hall.
- Friday 6th October 2023
- Friday 2nd February 2024
- Friday 3rd May 2024